Monday, March 11, 2019

Matching Sashing Intersections

I'm making the Fringe sample for the store, from Robin Pickens' Dandi Annie line, by Moda.  I LOVE this fabric!  The pattern is challenging if you're not sure how to get all of those sashing intersections to match.  Here's how I do it.

First, I sewed all the rows together.  Then I measured 6 different rows.  Then averaged the measurements and cut ALL of the horizontal sashing pieces the SAME size.  This will help the quilt
be squared-up when the top is finished.

My sewn rows aren't exactly the same length, but that's alright.  I'll pin the sashing strip to the bottom of a row, at both ends.  Then I'll pin one end (right side) into the carpet.  


The sashing is a little shorter than the row.
 


Stretch the sashing and the row just a little, until they're the same size.  Then pin the other end into the carpet.  Now I can evenly pin the rest of the row.









When the sashing strip is sewn to one strip, then we'll get it ready to sew to the other side.  I fold the sashing onto the row and use my Frixion pen to mark where the seams are on the sashing.


 

See how the marks line-up with the opposite row?


Pin all of the seam allowances in place.


 See how there's gap in the row between the pins?  As I sew, I can ease this to fit by pulling it taut.


Here are my finished intersections.


 

No comments: